Wednesday, August 10, 2011

ZTC = Zero Tuition College

Some time ago I found this website that offers a way in which people can create their own college experience or classes and it is free (except for the books that are needed or airfare, etc.) I filled out my profile at Zero Tuition College and then signed up for a few courses. So far I am signed up to do the following:

  1.  Ask Yourself These Four Questions: Completed, but will keep what I wrote to myself for now.
  2.  Learn a New Language Online Via Busuu: Signed up for Spanish~beginning even though I had a year of Spanish in college. I do remember many of the words. I did the first few exercises and now I am on the section in which I will need to write the words. I wish that the Busuu site offered Latin as one of their languages. I would really get into that one. As it is now I will be teaching Latin Book I  to my son and learning along with him.
  3. Do an Online Ivy League Course: For my Ivy League course I am working through Milton with Professor John Rogers. Today I completed lecture One and found it interesting how Milton thought that England was the 'chosen' country. Not too surprising though. It seems that many at the time (and perhaps many still do) had the same thought of England the country of God. I guess a large number of us, no matter the country, believe our land is the country of our Lord. Oh, the numbers of wars that can be contributed to that thinking. It boggles the mind at times. Anyway, I am off to find the readings for the next Lecture of the Milton series. I have a couple of them on my Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Pearl Display.
The rest I will have to find online or perhaps see if the library has a copy of his poems (I doubt they do, not a library for classics.)
After I read them I will write up a paper or perhaps Prof. Rogers will give out an assignment. While I am reading you all can check out the Zero Tuition College and perhaps start working on your self-education. It is always fun to learn new things.
;-)Happy Reading!


No comments: